Saturday, May 07, 2005

Tattoos,the NBA and the Velodrome

I don't enjoy following the National Basketball Association as much as I have in days gone by. One reason -- I just don't "get" tattoos. OK, a person might be justified in having one tattoo. When a player, or anyone is covered with images and words on their body, I find it very distracting.
Another reason the NBA has lost me ... too often, the outcome of a game is decided in the last quarter. It's as if the first three quarters were, well, why does anyone bother? I'm reminded of those cycling races held on banked tracks called Velodromes. Most of us have watched that competition in the Olympics. No matter how long the race distance, in the early laps, the racers are slooowwly circling the track, playing mind games with each other. Then, with a few laps to go, everyone peddles with everything they have to win the race. It's like watching two guys play chess for an hour only to have the winner decided by which one can leap out of their seat and run to the door first.

No comments: