Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Innocent Sounds

Living not too far from a grammar school, one of the neat sounds I hear is the children playing during recess. With a window open, I can hear the excited screams of a group of girls reacting to something on the play ground. Boys yelling instructions to each other, while playing baseball or some other game. I can remember back to when I was in grammar school. When finding your place among your classmates and a group to belong to meant everything. And sneaking a glance at the girls. How I wanted to be popular. How I wished I was brave enough to talk to girls. I thought Marilyn Miller was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. Don't think we said a word to each other, though. Where did you go, Marilyn Miller? I wonder how many boys on today's school play ground have those same feelings and fears that I did back then. I wish I could reach out to them. Tell them it will be all right

No comments: